Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:35:06 +0300
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?B?3Gxr/CBTQVlJTEFO?= <ulku.sayilan@kssgm.gov.tr>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: cant exec getty(urgent)

MS> On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:45:55PM +0300, Ülkü SAYILAN wrote:

>>      I have a big problem, FreeBSD+samba running on HP LH4 server being file server.
>>      Last night, renaming some file and in some command
>>      line I push "pause/Break" than such kind of error line came,

MS> The 'pause' key will temporarily suspend input to the tty, until you
MS> press it again, when everything you typed in the meantime will
MS> suddenly be sent to the system.  It has no special powers to make your
MS> system shutdown, or anything.

Hmmmzz I see I suppose only such kind of functions but I pressed it again but
I didnt turn normal mode. Pausing system Maybe; I pushed a lots of dangerous
key and you have a point there it sent a system so rebooted.

>>       "init: can't exec getty `/usr/libexec/getty` for port /dev/ttyv1:No
>>       souch file or directory"
>>
>>       then a little bit freezing time I push again any key than it reboot
>>       at last server never boot in below messages that freezing..
>>
>>       What Can I do?

MS> Your /usr partition hasn't mounted properly.  You should still be able
MS> to boot into single user mode on the console.  Watch the system as it
MS> boots from power-on.  When you get to the 10-second countdown hit the
MS> space bar to interrupt the usual boot process, then type:

MS>     > boot -s

MS> The system will go through the early stages of booting and then stop,
MS> prompting you to type in the name of a shell or hit return.  You
MS> should hit return.  Now you've got the system into single user mode,
MS> and can investigate what went wrong.  Probably the first thing to do
MS> is to fsck(8) and mount your disk drives, and turn on swapping:

MS>     # fsck -p
MS>     # swapon -a
MS>     # mount -a

MS> If any of those commands generates error messages you don't
MS> understand, ask again here.

MS> Now you should be able to poke around in /usr and see if there's any
MS> obvious problems.  If it's just the getty executable that's missing,
MS> you should be able to copy one from a similar machine, or out of
MS> /usr/obj if you previously did a buildworld on that machine.

you are right but my system hasn't boot neither single user mode or multiple
user mode. So I was try and try again never boot
system so single user mode didn't functionally well.

>>       I suppuse some file system deleted :(
>>
>>       Maybe boot from CD and installtion procees I must choose
>>        "configure do post install configuration of freebsd"
>>       Can I rescue file system? or lost of all my data/server?
>>
>>       or boot floopy can be functional?

MS> No -- see if you can get into single user mode first, before thinking
MS> about re-installing.  You should be able to get at least some of the
MS> system back.

MS> Once you're done with single user mode, type:

MS>     # reboot

MS> and the system should come back into normal multiuser mode so long as
MS> you've fixed what was causing the problem.

MS>         Cheers,

MS>         Matthew

If it is boot I will do it but boot procees is freezing at the end of

"amrd0: <LSILogic MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
amrd0: 34708MB (71081984 sectors) RAID 5 (optimal)
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/amrd0s1a"

as I said before..

by the way I have tried again boot floopy, mfsroot floppy at the end of my this
process now server cant find operating system :'(

Thanks a lot..

"Her development, her freedom, her independence, must come from and through
  herself. First, by asserting herself as a personality, and not as a sex commodity.
  Second, by refusing the right of anyone over her body; by refusing to bear
  children, unless she wants them, by refusing to be a servant to God, the State, society,
  the husband, the family, etc., by making her life simpler, but deeper and
  richer. That is, by trying to learn the meaning and substance of life in all its
  complexities; by freeing herself from the fear of public opinion and public condemnation."
 [Emma Goldman, Anarchism and Other Essays, p. 211]

Hoscakalin,
 Ülkü                            mailto:ulku.sayilan@kssgm.gov.tr

This e-mail was scanned by Antivirus!
http://www.kssgm.gov.tr