Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 20:59:20 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CAM Install (fwd)

On 12 Jul 1998, Cory Kempf wrote:

> >From this, I can't tell what the problem might be.  If you can't
> explain the problem clearly and briefly, you are not likely to get
> help.

Yes, I know. I have done that, message was sent on 1.July and subject line
was: Re: CAM kernel panics on IBM NetFinity 3500

This message was reply to the Justin T. Gibbs who helped me to get
Netfinity boot with CAM floppy. Maybe reply was posted to the wrong list (
current ), but CAM is almost -current thing and I don't want crosspost to
the -current and -questions lists.

> Please remember, none of us are being paid to answer questions.  I
> answer them if I have time that day, if I know the answer offhand, and
> if answering the question doesn't require too much work.

Certainly

> I installed the 98.05.20 -current, used the boot floppies I downloaded
> from incomming a while back (I looked, they seemed to be still there,
> the same ones, so I didn't download new ones).  Installed the kernel
> from the 2nd floppy in fixit mode, rebooted with -a, downloaded CAM,
> and built the world.  Created a new kernel config, and built a kernel.

Yes, I tried do exactly same, even snapshot was same. Firstly, boot
floppy from incoming was broken for me, I got a page fault while booting
up. My first posting was caused by that and Justin replied this old boot
floppy is broken and newer one should work. I downloaded newer boot image
and this one was ok ( fetched from http://www.freebsd.org/~abial/cam-boot/
). Everything seems fine, but install stopped with message:

Unable to create a new /etc/fstab file! Manual intervention will be
required.

I don't want to write everything again, if you are interested and have a
time, you can search current mailing list for subject stated above.

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee