Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:43:32 -0400
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.org, nox@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Qemu and gcc 4.2 revisited

The last week of May (27 and 28th) there was a brief thread on using
qemu with gcc-4.2 for those of us using CURRENT.  There didn't seem to
be any clear resolution.

I'm wondering what other CURRENT users are doing.  After upgrading
CURRENT to gcc 4.2 qemu locks up my machine (which might, of course, be
one of those "Just you" problems.  No cores, just that freezes--I can
ping it from another machine, but ssh, among other things, stops
responding and I have to reboot with the machine's reset button.

Looking at the thread I mentioned above at

http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2007/freebsd-emulation/20070603.freebsd-emulation.html

it doesn't seem that anything was really resolved.

I can do a portupgrade -f of qemu (I'm using devel, but had the same
problem with qemu itself) and even if I add disable-gcc-check I get the
same problem that Eric had, a message that qemu should be built with
gcc-3.x and a failure.

If I leave the rest of the Makefile alone, including the USE_GCC= 3.4,
it will simply pull in and install gcc-3.4.  The failure I mention above
only happens if I comment out the USE_GCC line.  Is this what most
people running CURRENT are doing, just reinstalling and letting it
install gcc-3.4?

Just to clarify, if I leave the Makefile alone, it will build
successfully, using gcc-3.4, so my issue is probably a bit different
than Eric's.  I only duplicate his error if I comment out the
USE_GCC= 3.4 line in the Makefile.

So my question, at present, is more along the lines of "What is everyone
else who runs CURRENT doing?"  (I don't think Juergen runs CURRENT,
actually).  I was hoping to set up a test box with CURRENT to help
troubleshoot if I could, but I've run out of time this weekend, and
suspect I won't have time this week.)

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Cordelia: I guess you should know since you helped raise that
demon that killed that guy that time.
Giles: Yes, do bring that up as often as possible.