Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 06:34:05 -0700
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        "Ken Bolingbroke" <ken@bolingbroke.com>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OT- Listening to a port

On Friday, March 10, 2000 2:49 AM Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 09:52:52PM -0700, Duke Normandin wrote:
>> On Wednesday, March 08, 2000 11:42 AM Ken Bolingbroke wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have an immediate answer to your question, but have you tried
>>> asking your ISP?  I used to run an ISP's network, and I wouldn't
>>> have had any problem with helping a customer get their dialup access
>>> working...
>>
>> The dialer that I have to use (and am using) is only for win9x. There
>> is no *nix version. So I'm just trying to figure out how to "capture"
>> the "connection dialogue" in order to duplicate it using FBsd and PPP.
>> Thanks!
>
>If the dialer for Win 9x uses a different identification "string" each
>time you log onto your ISP's ppp server, then you might be searching
>for more than just the captured log.  Trying to break an authentication
>scheme that is based on some form of 'challenge', might be difficult.
>
>I think that you'll be better off asking your ISP to provide more
>information on the dial-in procedure, if they're not going to make a
>Unix client soon.
>
>Even if they reply that "we're not distributing a binary of our client
>for any Unix because there are so many bloody versions of the OS, that
>we could not develop one client working on them all", you can still
>reply that given some specification of what the client is expected to
>do, you (or some other Unix-guru of the area) can come up with one in a
>fair amount of time :)

I don't think that the "dialer" uses a different identification "string",
so that's a plus. I did scoop a utility called "windump" which I got
working yesterday. I captured the "connection dialogue", but I'm not
knowledgable enough to interpret it. I'll have to find a *nix-friendly
ISP I guess. Thanks for your input!

-duke