Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 00:58:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jay M. Richmond" <jayrich@room101.sysc.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel Pentium Bug: BSDI Releases a patch (fwd)

What are the freebsd team's thought on this? --jay

--

As many of you probably know, a bug was recently discovered in the
Pentium CPU that causes the CPU to hang when a certain instruction

With information provided by Intel, BSDI has developed a workaround
for this problem.  A beta version of the mod for BSD/OS version 3.1
is now available for testing from

        ftp://ftp.bsdi.com/bsdi/patches/patches-3.1/M310-hangfix

This mod may also be applied to 3.0 based systems.

The workaround is enabled only on P5 processors, and should not
be necessary on Pentium Pro, Pentium II or non-Intel CPUs.

The mod is currently available only in binary form.  We anticipate
general release of the mod within a day or so.  We are interested
in hearing of any problems experienced with this change.  We are
also interested in hearing about testing on any non-Intel
Pentium-compatible systems.  Please send any reports to

        bsdi-hang-beta@BSDI.COM

We are not at liberty to discuss the mechanism of the workaround
at this time.

If you are installing the mod in a source kernel tree, you will
need to copy the files sys/i386/OBJ/{machdep.o,locore.o} to
your kernel compile directory before rebuilding your kernel.

Jeff
- --
     /\   Jeff Polk            Berkeley Software Design, Inc. (BSDI)
  /\/  \  polk@BSDI.COM        5575 Tech Center Dr. #110, Colo Spgs, CO 80919

- --
To unsubscribe from this list, send 'unsubscribe' in the body of an e-mail
message to 'bsdi-users-request@mailinglists.org'

------- End of Forwarded Message