Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2016 08:45:36 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: FLAVORS (initial version) and subpackages proposals

--SOcwckLDNWRI2LSvNShXgjC7n1DAqRbLC
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-ports@freebsd.org

--BmslJlwCIJM6vEeSXeF4Ip5rHT57MvxUQ

On 19/12/2016 07:47, David Demelier wrote:
>> I have been working for a while on 2 long standing feature request for=
 the ports
>> tree: flavors and subpackages.
>>
>> For flavors I would like to propose a simple approach first which is m=
ore like a
>> rework of the slave ports for now:
>>
>> Examples available here:
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D8840 (with the implementation)
>> and
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D8843
>>
>> Design: introduce a 3rd level in the hierarchy and make it work a bit =
like slave
>> ports
>>
>> pros:
>> - all slave ports are self hosted under the same directory: easier for=

>>   maintenance
>> - should work with all existing tools
>>
> This is what I really wanted for years especially for ports like spell
> checker. Some are in dedicated categories such as french/aspell while
> other are in textproc/<lang>-aspell and that's a big mess.
>=20
> OpenBSD ports has something like textproc/aspell/<lang> and that is
> very nice and clean. If the plan is to do the same, that is definitely
> a major improvement.
>=20

I really like this idea, although it's going to add a lot of extra
directories and very similar small Makefiles to the ports.  Every python
port would grow flavours to support two major versions of python just
for starters, and those additional Makefiles would be almost identical
across the python2 flavour and across the python3 flavour.

Is it the intention that -devel or versioned ports are treated as
flavours as well? So for example we could end up with lang/python/27
lang/python/33 lang/python/34 and lang/python/35 ?

Why can't you have both flavoured and unflavoured variants of the same
port -- eg. devel/example as well as devel/example/foo and
devel/example/bar ?

How well do flavours and sub-packages combine?  www/nginx would make a
good example there, given it now has both loadable and compiled-in
modules plus a couple of slave ports that just build different module
load-outs.

	Matthew