Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:43:46 -0600
From:      jomor <jomor@ahpcns.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPSEC tunnel without gif?

I've been setting up a VPN with tunnel mode IPSEC and things are going
OK so far but in searching the list archives, I've found some stuff that
seems to imply that gif tunnels are not needed for tunnel mode. Is this
true? I've only gotten it to work by pre-configuring the gif tunnel, but
now I'm not sure if I have true "tunnel mode IPSEC" or "transport mode
IPSEC" applied to an "IP-ENCAP" tunnel such as that suggested by the
X-bone project.

                        seeking enlightenment    ...jgm