Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 00:21:14 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Greg Thomas <ethant@earthlink.net>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to edit boot0?

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 07:55:49PM -0800, Greg Thomas wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> > > I RTFM for boot0cfg but I still only get my FreeBSD slices at boot.
> >
> > How are your drives configured. What do you want to get?
>
> I've got 4.0-RELEASE installed and so far I'm getting along ok.  FreeBSD
> is on ad0s1 and my Linux root partition is on /dev/hdb1 (ad1s1 in
> FreeBSD?) in Linux.  I installed lilo to /dev/hdb1.  When I boot I get F1
> and F5 and they both boot FreeBSD.  To get back to Linux I have to boot
> from a boot floppy and change lilo to write to /dev/hda1.
>
> Let me know if you have any ideas or whether you need addtional info.

In FreeBSD,

        ad0s1
          ^ ^
          | |__ The slice number, MS-DOS partition number. 1-4 are "real"
          |       slices and 5-8 are any MS-DOS "extended" partitions.

          |_ The disk number. This is the master on the primary
               controller, "1" is slave on primary, "2" is master on
               secondary... can you guess what "3" is?

IIRC, Linux has,

        hdb1
          ^^
          ||_ The slice, MS-DOS partition.

          |_ The hard drive, "a," "b," etc.

What does the boot loader list as the BIOS drives before you get to
the menu? I'm not too familiar with LILO, so I can't really say how it
is figuring in.