Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:52:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Masafumi NAKANE <max@wide.ad.jp>
Cc:        imp@village.org, 3APA3A@SECURITY.NNOV.RU, kris@hub.freebsd.org, serg@dor.zaural.ru, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: delegate buffer overflow (ports)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Masafumi NAKANE wrote:

> 2. When a user simply types ``make'' or ``make install'' or whatever,
>    show something like:

> *    WARNING!         WARNING!         WARNING!         WARNING!     *
> * This program has known security problems.                          *

I'd change the above to "known security problems which may allow a remote
attacker to take control of your machine. See FreeBSD security advisory
00:04 for more information.".

> * It is strongly recommended that you do not use this program.       *
> * If you would like to use this program despite the danger,          *
> * run make with ``FORCE_BUILD=YES''.                                 *

With something like this in place I have no objections.

Kris

----
"How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man?"
"Eight!"
"That was a rhetorical question!"
"Oh..then, seven!" -- Homer Simpson