Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2000 02:51:32 +0000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: staroffice 5.1 port

Hi Danny,

> Of the topic a little

joining you 'off-topic'...

> But if you are using FreeBSD why not purchase of copy of Applixware for FreeBSD.
>
> As an IT professional your time is valuable and I believe the $100 for
> Applixware for FreeBSD is really worth it because of the : -
>
> amount of time ou will save (10 min installation)
>
> Applixware for FreeBSD provides more features than Staroffice

Hmm... In "South Pacific Pesos" that translates to (checked yesterday)
$185. Ok, still good value for an Office Package. But work won't pay for
it, they would say "scrap FreeBSD and use the WinNT licence and the
Office2K licence we provide you for 'free'." I'm 'on my own' as such,
although a few others are starting to use Linux here - now to convince
them to go "all-the-way" ;')

However, by 'struggling' with StarOffice (as I have done over the last 2
days off and on) I have gained a lot more experience at installing
cantankerous software, I've learned more about FreeBSD, I've had fun.
*And* this morning when SO5 finally worked, the sense of achievement was
something money just can't buy.

Yup, I too am an IT Professional - it's a great way to pay the mortgage
- but experience like this is hard to buy, you need to invest some time
and effort.

Yes, I admit, that I didn't nut it all out myself, I did ask for help
(here and by private e-mail), but there were parts that I _did_ figure
out myself, and all in all I think I achieved quite a bit. And saved
$185 to boot! :') And had fun.

For some, installing something that just 'works' is fine, 'cause they
want to get on with their 'real work'. For otehrs of us, the thrill of
the chase is what we crave ;') :')

Cya and reg's,

Haxxa