Date:      Sat, 05 Jun 2004 15:41:55 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI vs APM vs klaptop

> Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:40:46 -0700
> From: Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>

> Hi,
>
> I used to have
> apmd_enable="YES"
> but every since ACPI was included in freebsd, I have unset it
> because I read that ACPI and APM clash.
>
> Is that correct with the current (5.2.1)?
>
> Is so, and I don't run apm, how do I get a functional klaptop
> process, which seems to not work with acpi?

This gets a bit confusing. Here is the run down.

ACPI and APM in the kernel (or loaded modules) don't play together at
all. It's "either/or".

FreeBSD DOES provide an APM emulation that does work with apmd, passing
along requested to ACPI and reformatting the results to look like
APM.. As a result, you may still want APMD_ENABLE="YES" in your
rc.conf. Legacy tools using APM will still use apmd which talks to the
APM emulation software which talks to ACPI.

I hope this explains it. I'll admit that it's confusing. I am not
familiar with klaptop, so I can't answer completely, but if it uses
apmd, it requires that apmd be enabled on the system.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)