Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 05:48:28 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        d-kean@adfa.edu.au ("Donna Kean")
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help (on sysadmin tools)

On 9 Sep 1999 19:01:17 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.hackers you wrote:
>hi my names donna kean and i'm a 3rd year is student at the australian =
>defence force academy.  i'm enrolled in a systems administration course =
>and i have to write an assignment about freebsd gui tools that help =
>sysadmins do their work such as create users, monitor the system etc. i =
>was hopeing that you could help me with information or web sites that =
>are relevant. it would be most appreciated.
>thanks donna

See http://www.freebsd.org for an overview of FreeBSD

Then search through the archives at
http://www.deja.com/home_ps.shtml
Enter in mailing.freebsd.*,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd for the groups, and you
have at your finger tips a few years of all the FreeBSD brain trust at your
fingertips.  As for gui tools, I would say a lot of people probably dont
use gui's as the true power of UNIX lies in its shell-- especially the
ability to extend basic utilities to do exactly what you need them to do.
But I speak only for my own shop of course. For monitoring tools, thats a
very broad category... MRTG, and SNMP are two.  Again, have a look through
the archives. Its a common question.

You posted in the wrong place.  I suggest you have a read at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL before
posting. And finally, you will do better on line to use more descriptive
subject lines than just "help". I only looked at your email by accident, as
I mean to open something else.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)