Date:      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:49:59 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        jay@codegurus.org
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GnomeMeeting with Logitech QuickCam Express

> Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:16:44 +0100
> From: Jayton Garnett <jay@codegurus.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
>
> Hello,
>
> I have an old Logitech QuickCam Express and want to get it working with
> GnomeMeeting, does anyone know how to get it working with GnomeMeeting?
> Could qcamview be used to """stream""" the video for GnomeMeeting in
> some weird way?

I'm not going to touch the qcamview issue. If it can generate a video
stream on FreeBSD, it might be made to work with GnomeMeeting without
too much work, but I don't know enough about it to say much. At least a
plug-in would need to be written for it to work.

Other then that, no joy. Only bktr(4) devices are currently supported in
FreeBSD and, as of the last patches to GM I submitted, it is not seeing
that camera. (I just have not had any time to debug it.) While bktr(4)
devices are cheap, none is available for laptops as far as I know.

So, as far as I can tell, GM on FreeBSD is currently restricted to
sending audio, although it receives both audio and video. But feel free
to work on it. Maybe you can find the problem before someone else does.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)