Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 12:50:34 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, Jason <kib@mediaone.net>, ldmservices@charter.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will It Never End? (was Re: CA Power Shortage (was Re: Why do you support Yahoo!))

At 03:09 PM 12/21/2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:

>But any scientist also knows that there is and will always be some
>margin of error in any measurement. Voting is a messy process and will
>always have some inherent, irreducible error. So what _do_ you do when
>the result falls within the noise, as it did in this case? I suppose
>it is possible that if you had a re-vote, the signal might emerge from the
>noise, but it is quite possible the outcome would still be well within
>the error margin.

Improve your methods of measurement until you get a result that is
within a resonable confidence interval. Otherwise, do not publish.

>Since you are not actually making the same
>measurement in both cases (imagine how different the turnout would
>be),

The turnout would be different because one of the sources of error
in the measurement was that voters were turned away from the polls --
a horrendous violation of their rights as citizens. It would be
the same measurement, but without this filter on the input.

>Actually, hmmm, where did I see a little discussion of reducing the
>error in voting... Oh, yeah, Bruce Schneier rebuttted some of those
>saying more computerized or (*ack*) on-line voting is a cure-all for
>this kind of thing in this month's Crypto-gram.

Online and/or electronic voting is not a cure-all, but would likely be
better than current techniques.

>> I don't like either Bush or Gore, by the way.
>
>Me neither. I guess I like Gore less, but since I excersised the
>option to vote for neither of Gore or Bush, I really did not have to
>sit down and decide which was the lesser of two evils. But it would
>have been nice if Gore won so that we could have split Congress and
>the Executive among the Dems and Reps as much as possible. Typically,
>the less legislation they can agree on and pass in Washington, the
>better.

Unfortunately, other positions within the administration also matter.
Now that Bush has named John Ashcroft as his Attorney General, watch
Bill Gates and his cronies get off scot-free as the government
abandons the antitrust case. (Gates has the Republicans well bought,
and Ashcroft is a party line ultra-right-winger.) Also watch for
all voluntary termination of pregnancy to be outlawed in the U.S.
within 4 years.

>> In any event, it is undeniable that if the rules were followed --
>> that is, if the will of the people had mattered -- Gore would have won.
>
>But those are _not_ the rules, and everyone knew that going into
>this. The Electoral College silliness is the rule, and I don't think
>there is anyway anyone can say conclusively that "Gore won" according
>to those rules.

I can. Look at the statistics! According to those rules AND Florida
law (which requires ballots to be laid out in a single column with
the check boxes or punch holes to the right of the names) Gore
won.