Date:      Wed, 2 May 2012 16:39:27 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   gpart labels - why arent't some showing up in /dev/gpt/?

Hi there,

I like being able to label my drives and partitions with gpart,
so that I can (putatively) replace drives or move them around
or have the new ata drivers move them around for me, and still
have fstab find them.

So, for example, I have (in fstab):
/dev/gpt/root		/		ufs	rw,async,noatime 1	1

Which derives from an appropriate label on ada2p1:
Geom name: ada2
modified: false
state: OK
fwheads: 16
fwsectors: 63
last: 117231374
first: 34
entries: 128
scheme: GPT
Providers:
1. Name: ada2p1
   Mediasize: 65536 (64k)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 17408
   Mode: r0w0e0
   rawuuid: 356aefc1-92a7-11e1-ae3f-00270e0fb8e9
   rawtype: 83bd6b9d-7f41-11dc-be0b-001560b84f0f
   label: bootme
   length: 65536
   offset: 17408
   type: freebsd-boot
   index: 1
   end: 161
   start: 34
2. Name: ada2p2
   Mediasize: 60022325248 (55G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 131072
   Mode: r1w1e2
   rawuuid: 9995b354-92a7-11e1-ae3f-00270e0fb8e9
   rawtype: 516e7cb6-6ecf-11d6-8ff8-00022d09712b
   label: root
   length: 60022325248
   offset: 131072
   type: freebsd-ufs
   index: 2
   end: 117231359
   start: 256
Consumers:
1. Name: ada2
   Mediasize: 60022480896 (55G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r1w1e3

Back when I first built this computer, I similarly labelled the
four freebsd-zfs partitions on my four main spinning disks, with
the intention that I could use these names in a non-confusing
way in subsequent zpool create commands.  This did work *once*,
but after using the /dev/gpt/raidz0... names to create a raidz
tank, they disappeared from /dev/gpt, and the names that showed
up in zpool status output were the long strings of digits from
the /dev/gptid/ directory.

This week I had to blow my raid array and start from scratch,
after zpool scrub proved itself incapable of fixing or removing
the corruption that I have mentioned here earlier.  Even after
clearing the disks of their zpool, the gpt names did not show up
under /dev/gpt, so I have had to rebuild my zfs array with
old-school partition names, like ada0p1 and so on.  This does
work, but it seems a bit sub-optimal.

Anyone know why the /dev/gpt/label name seems so tempramental,
and what might be done to make it behave as I've expected?

FWIW here is a gpart list of the first of the raid drives (the
other three are essentially the same, but with the label digit
incremented):

Geom name: ada0
modified: false
state: OK
fwheads: 16
fwsectors: 63
last: 1953525134
first: 34
entries: 128
scheme: GPT
Providers:
1. Name: ada0p1
   Mediasize: 1000204851712 (931G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 17408
   Mode: r1w1e1
   rawuuid: b06b6337-e511-11e0-9d62-00270e0fb8e9
   rawtype: 516e7cba-6ecf-11d6-8ff8-00022d09712b
   label: raidz1
   length: 1000204851712
   offset: 17408
   type: freebsd-zfs
   index: 1
   end: 1953525134
   start: 34
Consumers:
1. Name: ada0
   Mediasize: 1000204886016 (931G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r1w1e2

and here's the entire contents of /dev/gpt:
altroot backup backup3g bootme bootme2 root

(no raidz1, etc.)

Cheers,

--
Andrew