Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 2020 12:00:30 -0500
From:      Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Retiring GNU objdump 2.17.50

--au5cgdu6f6ngm4ru

On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 10:31:55AM -0500, Ed Maste wrote:
> We currently install and use at most three tools from GNU binutils
> 2.17.50, depending on target architecture:
>=20
> 1. as - assembler
> 2. ld - linker
> 3. objdump - diagnostic / information tool
>=20
> I hope to retire all use of these obsolete binutils before FreeBSD 13.
> Here I'd like to discuss objdump. It is a diagnostic tool that
> provides information about object files, binaries and libraries. It's
> not required as a bootstrap tool (i.e., not needed to build FreeBSD
> world or kernel). It is required to build a limited number of ports,
> and is used by some developers.
>=20
> I have a tracking PR for GNU objdump's retirement open in PR 229046.
> https://bugs.freebsd.org/229046.
>=20
> There are two ways we can proceed with its retirement:
>=20
> 1. Remove it without replacement. Ports that need objdump to build
> will have to depend on the binutils package/port, and users who wish
> to use it will have to install it.
>=20
> Related links for this path:
> Ports exp-run: https://bugs.freebsd.org/212319
> Patch review: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D7338
>=20
> 2. Install llvm-objdump in its place (perhaps via a symlink).
> llvm-objdump is broadly compatible in both command-line argument
> parsing and output format, but there are many small differences and
> it's not a full drop-in replacement.
>=20
> Related links for this path:
> Patch review: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D18307

Hey Ed,

In preparation for Cross-DSO CFI, HardenedBSD made the switch to
llvm-objdump a long while ago. Therea are, indeed, subtle breakages in
ports. Not all options are supported. I added a LLVM_OBJDUMP_UNSAFE
flag, and some ports still have trouble with it.

Unfortunately, my spare time at this very moment is not large enough
to allow me to document HardenedBSD's initial findings with regards to
the switch. I wll, however, add that to my todo list.

Thanks,

--=20
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer
HardenedBSD

XMPP+OTR:            lattera@is.a.hacker.sx
GPG Key ID:          0xFF2E67A277F8E1FA
GPG Key Fingerprint: D206 BB45 15E0 9C49 0CF9  3633 C85B 0AF8 AB23 0FB2
https://git-01.md.hardenedbsd.org/HardenedBSD/pubkeys/src/branch/master/Sha=
wn_Webb/03A4CBEBB82EA5A67D9F3853FF2E67A277F8E1FA.pub.asc

--au5cgdu6f6ngm4ru

--au5cgdu6f6ngm4ru--