Date:      Sun, 20 May 2012 14:17:06 +0200
From:      "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Bernt Hansson <bah@bananmonarki.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@hera.homer.att.com>
Subject:   Re: Mouse stopped working in X

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Bernt Hansson <bah@bananmonarki.se> wrote:
> 2012-05-18 13:49, J. W. Ballantine skrev:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Before the update of x11 on 4/21/2012, X was working fine, but now
>> when I startx, my usb and touchpad mouse are no longer found. =A0The
>> mouse works in terminal mode, and hald and dbus are started in
>> /etc/rc.conf.
>
> I have exactly the same problem. What windowmanager are you
> using? I'm using xfce4, I have a workaround for that.
>
> 1. start X
> 2. when it comes up press alt+F2, the start program dialog comes up
> 3. type in xterm or your terminal of choice
> 4. in your terminal su to root then type
>
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus restart && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald restart
>
> wait a few seconds and the mouse should work again.

I have the same problem but with a ps/2 mouse. Restarting dbus
and hald from within an xterm is a workable workaround.

Since I'm using fluxbox, I start an xterm in ~/.xinitrc in the background
to get a terminal before exec-ing fluxbox. Luckily, this xterm has
already the focus.

This is the relevant part of /var/log/Xorg.0.log regarding the
mouse:

(II) config/hal: Adding input device PS/2 Mouse
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/mouse_drv.so
(II) Module mouse: vendor=3D"X.Org Foundation"
        compiled for 1.7.7, module version =3D 1.7.1
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
(WW) PS/2 Mouse: No Device specified, looking for one...
(II) PS/2 Mouse: Setting Device option to "/dev/psm0"
(--) PS/2 Mouse: Device: "/dev/psm0"
(=3D=3D) PS/2 Mouse: Protocol: "Auto"
(**) PS/2 Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psm0
        Device busy.
(EE) PS/2 Mouse: cannot open input device
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for "PS/2 Mouse"
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)

After restarting hald:

(II) config/hal: Adding input device PS/2 Mouse
(WW) PS/2 Mouse: No Device specified, looking for one...
(II) PS/2 Mouse: Setting Device option to "/dev/sysmouse"
(--) PS/2 Mouse: Device: "/dev/sysmouse"
(=3D=3D) PS/2 Mouse: Protocol: "Auto"
(**) PS/2 Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
(=3D=3D) PS/2 Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) PS/2 Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) PS/2 Mouse: Buttons: 9
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "PS/2 Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

Interestingly, the first time Xorg tries to access the
mouse, it opens /dev/psm0, and the second time after
manually restarting hald, it accesses /dev/sysmouse...
which is the driver that I always use in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Shouldn't Xorg use /dev/sysmouse all the time then?
Why does it try to open /dev/psm0?

I hope this problem will get fixed soon. ;-)

Thanks for the good workaround.

Regards,
-cpghost.

--=20