Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:14:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netgraph bridging: what is LOCAL_IFACE?

I posted this message to -questions last week, but never got a response,
so perhaps someone on this list (-net) can help out.

I'm trying to learn more about the netgraph bridging module, and I ran
across this comment in /usr/share/examples/netgraph/ether.bridge:

[quote]

# List the names of the interfaces that you want to bridge across
# here in ${BRIDGE_IFACES}. If you want to include the local host
# machine as well then set ${LOCAL_IFACE} as well (it may also be
# listed in ${BRIDGE_IFACES}). Of course, any ${LOCAL_IFACE} must
# be ifconfig(8)ured separately. If you don't want a ${LOCAL_IFACE}
# then leave it defined as the emtpy string.

[end quote]

The sentence:

   If you want to include the local host machine as well then set
   ${LOCAL_IFACE} as well (it may also be listed in ${BRIDGE_IFACES}).

is confusing. Can someone clarify what this says? Include the "local
host machine" in what, exactly? What is meant by the "local host
machine" in this context? What is the significance of the LOCAL_IFACE
interface? Why would one want to define a LOCAL_IFACE, rather than simply
using the bridge interface? Unfortunately, I don't yet know enough about
netgraph in general to figure it out from reading the rest of the
bridge-creation script.

Cheers,
Mick