Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 16:39:36 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Dale Chulhan - Home <dchulhan@uwi.tt>, "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, My List <TheTechies@onelist.com>, The Trinidad and Tobago Microsoft BackOffice Users Group <mbug@listbot.com>
Subject:   Re: Win NT vs UNIX ( cross fire )

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 08:55:41PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Dale Chulhan - Home <dchulhan@uwi.tt> writes:
> > The following is part of some cross fire passing tru another news group:
> > Any comments?
>
> Not much, except:
>
> > Dick, Windows NT was based on VMS not UNIX. In fact UNIX and Windows
> > 2000/NT are very different. Windows uses a micro kernel
> > architecture, UNIX uses a monolithic kernel.
>
> Unix does not use a monolithic kernel. Most Unix implementations do,
> but there's no reason why you couldn't implement Unix on top of a
> microkernel, and in fact, Apple have done just that with OS X.

And just to  add, Windows NT   does not use  a microkernel architecture,
either.  It is a hybrid, which is now more  like a monolithic OS.  It is
a reasonable trade-off  of performance and modularity, though ultimately
most  decisions were made  in favor of performance.   See _Inside NT_ by
Helen Custer.   Hmm, actually I see  there is now  a 2nd  edition, named
_Inside Windows NT_.

> > Today, of all the
> > mainstream Operating Systems, UNIX still has the slowest Windows
> > interface.

Actually, I find the X  Windows interface quite  a bit snappier than any
version of Windows on the same hardware.  Clearly, YMMV.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org