Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:36:45 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Ond=C5=99ej_Majerech?= <oxyd.oxyd@gmail.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   devel/boost_build doesn't install boost.jam anywhere

Hey,

I'd like to use Boost.Build to build my program which uses Boost
libraries quite heavily.

Using my own build of Boost (located in my home directory), I have no
problems. I use target names like "/boost//python" in my Jamroot and I
have a "using boost ;" line in my ~/user-config.jam. No problems here.

However, I tried to build my project using Boost from ports and so far
I've been unsuccessful. I put "boost-build
/usr/local/share/boost_build ;" into ~/boost-build.jam, but all I get
is:

boost.jam: No such file or directory
/usr/local/share/boost_build/build/toolset.jam:36: in toolset.using
rule boost.init unknown in module toolset.
/usr/local/share/boost_build/build/project.jam:825: in using
/home/pure/user-config.jam:1: in modules.load
/usr/local/share/boost_build/build-system.jam:104: in load-config
/usr/local/share/boost_build/build-system.jam:154: in load
/usr/local/share/boost_build/kernel/modules.jam:261: in import
/usr/local/share/boost_build/kernel/bootstrap.jam:132: in boost-build
/usr/home/pure/boost-build.jam:1: in module scope

And indeed, the first line doesn't lie and hints at the culprit:
there's no boost.jam anywhere in the boost_build installation or any
other Boost-related port:

[starlight] ~ > pkg_info -L boost\* | grep 'boost\.jam'
[starlight] ~ >

I don't think I'm missing any Boost-related port, as I have them all:

[starlight] ~ > pkg_info -E \*boost\*
boost-all-1.45.0
boost-docs-1.45.0
boost-jam-1.45.0
boost-libs-1.45.0_1
boost-python-libs-1.45.0
boost_build-2.0.m12

I believe this is a problem with the port (or my installation thereof)
as the official Boost distribution from boost.org does include that
file:

[starlight] ~/boost/boost_1_45_0 > find . -name 'boost.jam'
./tools/build/v2/contrib/boost.jam

and my build scripts work without problems using this distribution.

Is "boost.jam" not installed intentionally or is this an oversight?

Thanks,
Ondra