Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:46:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice sought on PnP configuration

> I am sure someone can volunteer a postscrip version of the document 8)

Could someone comment on the copyright issues ? Many docs on the
net say explicitly that you (and everybody else) can make your own
copy, but you cannot redistribute them without explicit authorization.
Of course this is the most stupid restriction they can put, but go and
convince these people...
Clearly things are different if someone ships me a postscript copy
of the file, or if someone sells a CD with all the docs found on the
net. The copyright should at least try to make a difference between the
two cases.

In any cases this is a real shame. As I told amancio, I have collected
quite a few data sheets (many in PDF format) about the PC hardware, and
it would be great if future freebsd distributions could include those
files on the CD. Perhaps I have to talk to Jordan about this and see
what he can do...

Apart from FreeBSD: here at the university, students are trying to
produce a CD with didactic matherial, and this would include data
sheets of sample hardware devices, if there were not such stupid
restrictions.

The last time I tried to get a written authorization from various
manufacturers, all of them said "of course you can make copies of
the data sheets and distribute them to students, but it is a problem
for us to put this in writing..."

	Cheers
	Luigi