Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:43:08 +0200
From:      Vlad Galu <dudu@dudu.ro>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: snort on multiple interfaces

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it> wrote:
> Some years ago, I checked to see whether I would be able to let a single
> snort process listen on more than one NIC.
> At the time it was only possible in Linux.

  In Linux the packet capture facility is implemented in a different
(and very inefficient manner), via raw sockets (which means that, in
order to reach userspace, a packet has to travel the whole IP stack -
including firewall - until delivery to the user process). BSD has BPF,
which basically delivers a copy of the packet to the userspace right
before it enters the IP stack for kernel processing. Each network
driver does this through the BPF_TAP() macro.

> Now, I searched a bit, but nothing new came up.
>
> Did anything improve since then? Do we still need multiple snort processe=
> to listen on more than one interface?
> Can some netgraph node help with this?

  You can try lagg(4) with the "loadbalance" option, ng_one2many(4),
or ng_fec(4).