Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 07:35:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SMP and softupdates?

Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 7:36 PM +0000 2000/8/28, Alex Zepeda wrote:
>
> >                         Perhaps in a rush to get started, I've compiled and
> >  been using a SMP kernel even before the second processor arrives.  This
> >  has worked fine, however I've gotten some rather weird hangs and crashes
> >  resulting in a nice lost+found directory on the usr fs.
>
> 	Personally, I'm astonished that an SMP kernel will actually boot
> and run on a uniprocessor machine.

Well, it does work.  Right now if we enable multiple CPU's with SMPng the
machine instantly panics, so we use a sysctl that keeps all the extra
processors waiting until we are ready to kill the machine.  Until that
point in time, however, the machine runs happily on 1 cpu, and can build
world ok, etc.

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/