Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:00:39 GMT
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/105967: ATH driver unable to reset D-Link DWL-530 (Atheros 5212 chip)

The following reply was made to PR i386/105967; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To: Keith Jeffries <seawolf_42@excite.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: i386/105967: ATH driver unable to reset D-Link DWL-530
	(Atheros 5212 chip)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:53:37 +0100

 On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 18:20 +0000, Keith Jeffries wrote:
 > >Number:         105967
 > >Category:       i386
 > >Synopsis:       ATH driver unable to reset D-Link DWL-530 (Atheros 5212 chip)
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       non-critical
 > >Environment:
 > FreeBSD portroyal.jolirouge.org 6.1-SECURITY FreeBSD 6.1-SECURITY #0: Mon Aug 28 05:21:08 UTC 2006     root@builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

 > The D-Link DWL-530 wireless card uses the Atheros 5212 chip, but the ATH driver is unable to reset the chip during hardware initialization; the card is therefore unusable.
 >
 > Relevant output from dmesg:
 > portroyal# dmesg | grep ath0
 > ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xe9000000-0xe900ffff at device 15.0 on pci0
 > ath0: Ethernet address: 00:13:46:9a:28:5c
 > ath0: mac 5.9 phy 4.3 radio 3.6
 > ath0: ath_chan_set: unable to reset channel 5 (2432 Mhz, flags 0x3e0 hal flags 0x140)
 > ath0: unable to reset hardware; hal status 12
 > ath0: unable to reset hardware; hal status 12
 > ath0: unable to reset hardware; hal status 12
 >
 > >From the ATH driver page:
 >      ath%d: ath_chan_set: unable to reset channel %u (%u Mhz)  The Atheros
 >      Hardware Access Layer was unable to reset the hardware when switching
 >      channels during scanning.  This should not happen.
 >      ath%d: unable to reset hardware; hal status %u  The Atheros Hardware
 >      Access Layer was unable to reset the hardware as requested.  The status
 >      code is explained in the HAL include file sys/contrib/dev/ath/ah.h.  This
 >      should not happen.
 >
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > install the wireless card on a generic i386 system running 6.1-RELEASE
 >
 > enable the Atheros driver in /boot/loader.conf
 > >Fix:
 > unknown
 > >Release-Note:
 > >Audit-Trail:
 > >Unformatted:

 Did you consider trying 6.2-BETA? Also please check the freebsd-net
 mailinglist first before submitting a PR, perhaps this was already
 fixed or someone knows a work around, that will help you much
 faster then via a PR (which this aint is.. just yet).

 I am not trying to spoil your fun, but it is in our and your
 best interest that you first visit the mailinglists for help and
 then see what can be done.