Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 18:58:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - low on space

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Jeff Lynch wrote:

> Yikes. I would set it at 20MB or 30MB and explain why it is necessary. If
> they have an occaisonal need you can always jack it up temporarily.
> It you leave it unlimited, you'll probably be sorry.
>
> You might even talk them into using ftp.

I totally agree with this.  EMail was just not designed for rediculously
large transfers like this.  It's inefficient because there's no restart
facility (I dont think...) in case a connection gets broken, like there is
with FTP and HTTP.

Definately talk your users into using FTP or something similar. Maybe get
them to embed a URL in their document so that the likes of Netscape mail
users can just click to open an attachment.

Scot

Scot Elliott (scot@poptart.org)			|    Work: +44 (0)1344 899401
PGP fingerprint: FCAE9ED3A234FEB59F8C7F9DDD112D |    Home: +44 (0)181 8961019
Public key available by finger at:   finger scot@poptart.org
			    or at:   http://www.poptart.org/pgpkey.html