Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:04:57 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>, Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: staroffice 5.1 port

Agreed. It's the reason I use FreeBSD, to learn and for the thrill of
the chase. Of course on that chase, once in a while I miss the door a
few too many times and do a header into the wall. Then I wonder why
I'm doing this.

But then after spending the morning trying to install a Symposium
Client program on a Win95 box , hitting those damned dll confilicts and
hearing tech support say "Ok, let's de-install and re-install it ONE
MORE TIME......"

As Al once said, everything is relative.

On Thu, 02 Mar 2000, in a never-ending search for
enlightenment, Harry Woodward-Clarke wrote: > Hi Danny, >  > >  > > Of
the topic a little >
> joining you 'off-topic'...
>

> > But if you are using FreeBSD why not purchase of copy of Applixware for FreeBSD.
> >
> > As an IT professional your time is valuable and I believe the $100 for
> > Applixware for FreeBSD is really worth it because of the : -
> >
> > amount of time ou will save (10 min installation)
> >
> > Applixware for FreeBSD provides more features than Staroffice
>
> Hmm... In "South Pacific Pesos" that translates to (checked yesterday)
> $185. Ok, still good value for an Office Package. But work won't pay for
> it, they would say "scrap FreeBSD and use the WinNT licence and the
> Office2K licence we provide you for 'free'." I'm 'on my own' as such,
> although a few others are starting to use Linux here - now to convince
> them to go "all-the-way" ;')
>
> However, by 'struggling' with StarOffice (as I have done over the last 2
> days off and on) I have gained a lot more experience at installing
> cantankerous software, I've learned more about FreeBSD, I've had fun.
> *And* this morning when SO5 finally worked, the sense of achievement was
> something money just can't buy.
>
> Yup, I too am an IT Professional - it's a great way to pay the mortgage
> - but experience like this is hard to buy, you need to invest some time
> and effort.
>
> Yes, I admit, that I didn't nut it all out myself, I did ask for help
> (here and by private e-mail), but there were parts that I _did_ figure
> out myself, and all in all I think I achieved quite a bit. And saved
> $185 to boot! :') And had fun.
>
> For some, installing something that just 'works' is fine, 'cause they
> want to get on with their 'real work'. For otehrs of us, the thrill of
> the chase is what we crave ;') :')
>
> Cya and reg's,
>
> Haxxa

Walter Brameld

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.