Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:25:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Shawn Foran <shawn@hamnet.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routing Issue NOT NAT

This is the first time I have ever written to the list, I apologize if I have gone about this incorrectly.

Currently, I am trying to set up a FreeBSD 4.0-Release box to route between myself an my ISP. I am connected to my ISP via DSL. I have a static IP on the DSL connection, and also have been assigned a small (.248) subnet of public ip addresses for my internal network.

I have configured my external network card on the gateway (de0) with the static external ip, and I have set up the internal network card (fxp0) with the first ip available in my internal subnet.
Also, I have configured another box with the next available IP in the subnet, and set the default router to be the ip of gateways fxp0 card (internal network).

gateway_enable has been set to YES in my rc.conf

I have also recompiled my kernel with the IPFIREWALL option

As of yet, I have had no success with this setup. I am able to ping my external address of the gateway without a problem, AND I am also able to ping the INTERNAL address of gateway, so I assume it is passing packets to some extent. I am not able though, to ping any other machines that I have set up on the internal network.

I have ran tcpdump on the gateway box, snooping the externel interface while trying to ping, or telnet into the various ip's on the internal subnet. I am seeing several lines with "arp who has xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx tell yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy" xxx being the box I am trying to get to, and strange to me, yyy being the gateway at my isp where all my traffic goes to. I apologize for not having the exact lines, but I am at work currently and cannot get to the dump'ed information.

Just a little more information, I have also tried compiling the kernel with the BRIDGE option and that did not seem to solve anything. My firewall is set to "open" currently, with hopes that once I get this working, I can start adding rules. routed is running (is defaulted to running when I set up the box) with the -q flag.

If anyone can help with this situation I would REALLY appreciate it.

Shawn