Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 12:33:02 -0700
From:      "Scott Worthington" <SWorthington@hsag.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@sentex.net
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 Waiting for scsi to settle -Reply

Final solve to my Adaptec 2940UW "waiting for scsi to settle"

Problem: Operating System would return "waiting for scsi to settle"
on booting of the following OS's:

Operating Systems affected: FreeBSD 2.2.5 2.2.6 2.2.7
and Slackware Linux 3.5

Problem solving:
1. Tried the 2940UW on a FIC PA-2007 motherboard that has Award
BIOS release 4.51PG version 1.09CD12.  The FIC PA-2007 uses
the VIA chipset.
1.a. The problem went away upon booting FreeBSD 2.2.7

[side note, I also tried the card in a Dell OptiPlex Gxi and it
worked fine---that lead me to believe there was a problem
with my FIC PA-2011 motherboard's BIOS...or possibly
the chipset]

2.  Upgraded my FIC PA-2011 motherboard's BIOS from AMI
version 626C13 to Award release 4.51PG 1.13CA14.
2.a. The problem went away upon booting FreeBSD 2.2.7

Solve:
Switch this motherboard from AMI BIOS to the current
AWARD BIOS and the problem with the 2940UW
waiting for scsi to settle appears to be corrected.

I hope this information helps BSDaemons out there attempting
to install and utilize the Adaptec 2940UW product.

It should also help any users of Linux, too.

>>> Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> September 30, 1998  8:55 pm >>>
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:26:23 -0700, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
you wrote:

>It looks like this problem is greater that it appears.
>
>So far, I have seen other e-mails regarding the same issue:
>Adaptec 2940 scsi cards not working with FreeBSD
>2.2.5, FreeBSD 2.2.6, or FreeBSD 2.2.7.
>
>Adding to this problem is my findings:
>My new Adaptec AHA-2940UW BIOS 1.34.3 (1998) experiences the
>same waiting for scsi to settle (forever)
>My new Adaptec AHA-2940UA BIOS 1.32 (1997)  experiences the
>same waiting for scsi to settle (forever)

Check the archives from last year around this.  If you enable "Plug
and Play SCAM" in the BIOS, this seems to fix the problem, or at least
it did for me back when I was using those old cards...

 ---Mike