Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:04:20 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD license questions

In the last episode (Sep 07), R Joseph Wright said:
> Does the BSD license make it so that, even if a proprietary (binary
> only) piece of software is derived from BSD, that software must be
> freely distributable by anyone?  That is the impression I get by
> reading this section of the license:

nope.

> Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> are met:
> 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

This means that /if/ you distribute source, you have to copy the
license along with the source (i.e. you can't remove the license or
make it GPL, for example).  You are not required to distribute source.

> 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
>    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
>    distribution.

This means /if/ you distribute binaries, you have to put the license
somewhere in the docs.  It does not require you to provide source to
the binaries.

You can choose to distribute only source, only binaries, both, or
neither.  Although the last case isn't much use to anyone.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com