Date:      31 Oct 2002 20:03:01 +0100
From:      Daniel Larsson <daniell@servicefactory.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Booting with a MFS filesystem

--=-izZUjVKXihnrWw+NPgv/

I'm trying to boot from a flash with the file system loaded into an MFS
filesystem. This is what the /boot/loader.rc looks like:
---
load /kernel
load -t mfs-root /mfsroot
autoboot 0
---

The flash boot partition contains these files

/
   kernel.gz
   mfsroot.gz
   boot/
      loader
      loader.rc

I managed to get this to work the other day, by constructing the file
systems for the flash "by hand", but now I'm suddenly stumped when
trying to rebuild. Loading and starting the kernel works ok, but after
initial boot, this happens:

sio0: type 16550A, console
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A
ad0: 245MB <SanDisk SDCFB-256> [980/16/32] at ata0-master BIOSPIO

Manual root filesystem specification:
                       eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
  ?                  List valid disk boot devices
  <empty line>       Abort manual input

mountroot>

Obviously it doesn't like to mount the MFS as root, but so far I haven't
been able to figure out exactly why.

The MFS was constructed basically like this:

dd if=3D/dev/null of=3Dmfsroot ...
vnconfig -e -s labels vn2 mfsroot
disklabel -w -B -b boot1 -s boot2 vn2 auto
newfs -o space -m 1 /dev/vn2c
# mount and populate

This is more or less what /usr/src/release/scripts/doFS.sh does, I've
mimicked the way the boot floppy works.

Selected parts from the kernel config file:

options       FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options       FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep this=
!]
options       SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support
options       MFS                     #Memory Filesystem
options       MD_ROOT                 #MD is a potential root device
pseudo-device md                      # Memory "disks"

Anyone have any obvious things I must have missed?

--=20
Daniel Larsson
Service Factory AB
=C5rsta=E4ngsv=E4gen 17