Date:      Fri, 29 May 2020 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        joe mcguckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        Freebsd hackers list <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Request: show interfaces

> It?s always bugged me that Unix doesn?t show as much information as a typical router
> does about ethernet interface statistics.
>
> What we really need is the equivalent of Cisco ?show interface?

One could write that, or enhance bird or frr to have additional output in
there show interfaces command.  Bird is a bit sparse:
rgrimes {1001}% birdc show interfaces
BIRD 1.5.0 ready.
vmx0 up (index=1)
        MultiAccess Broadcast Multicast AdminUp LinkUp MTU=1500
        64.62.249.151/27 (Primary, scope univ)
vmx1 DOWN (index=2)
        MultiAccess Broadcast Multicast AdminUp LinkUp MTU=1500
vmx2 up (index=3)
        MultiAccess Broadcast Multicast AdminUp LinkUp MTU=1500
        10.4.0.4/24 (Primary, scope site)

Infact an ifconfig -a gives you at least the negotiated interface
rate in addition to some other fields.

> This shows the bit rate, packet rate, count, all the various type of errors, etc.
By bit rate do you mean interface configured bit rate,
or bit rate over last short interval?
Cisco shows both, short interval being 5 minutes.  BSD ifconfig shows former.

Adding some of the Cisco like stats would not be hard, and possibly useful,
especially for me the Input queue size/max/drops/flushes, though much
of that may be very device specific due to offload.

> Cisco allows a description field to be set for each interface, and that shows up also in a ?show int? output.

That feature already exists, see ifconfig(8) "description value".

> I think these would be great features, considering how ofter FreeBSD is used for routers and firewalls.

ifconfig --format=cisco -a ??