Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 01:28:30 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@freefall.cdrom.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Never mind! :-}

>Hmmmmmm.  Still, things are very broken still in
>/usr/src/release/Makefile as a result of the cpio change and I may
>STILL back it out to get moving again (since having it refuse to dump
>ANY files due to this change is an error in my book for sure) but
>please ignore my previous bug report as erroneous..

:-(  Why not fix the actual bug(s):
1) stat() returns garbage for st_rdev for regular files (perhaps for all
   non-device files).  st_rdev is an implementation-define extension of
   POSIX.
2) cpio attempts to write garbage for st_rdev if stat() returns garbage.
   POSIX specifies what is to be written only for character and block-
   special files.

tar avoids the problem by only checking the garbage for character and block
special files.  I think it gets truncated otherwise.

pax avoids the problem by zeroing st_rdev except for character and block
special files before checking it.

I think the pax approach is correct.

Why not use pax instead of cpio?  It seems to do some things better, but
it seems to be little used so the bugs in it aren't known.

Bruce