Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 00:20:04 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI Plug 'n' Pray and old BIOSes

At 11:05 19.06.00 +0200, Graham Wheeler wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I have a Genius Hub Card (basically an Ethernet NIC that also acts as a
>four port hub). I would ideally like to use this card in an old 486DX4
>machine which acts as a ppp router. The card is detected (under both
>Windoze and FreeBSD) as a RealTek card (the model number escapes me
>right now).
>
>I installed 4.0-R on this machine, which detects the card, but gives me
>"ed0: device timeout" messages. Usually this is because the interrupt is
>misconfigured, but I don't think that is the case here.
>
>As I was under time pressure, I pulled the card out and put it in a
>different machine, this one a P166 which works fine (with the same IRQ).
>
>Anyway, when I get a chance I would like to try it again in the 486. The
>486 has three PCI slots, and the BIOS has some additional settings which
>may be the reason it wasn't working. I'm unfamiliar with what some of
>these do, and am hoping that someone on the list may have experience
>with early days of PCI and Plug 'n Play, and be able to help.
>
>These are the settings:
>
>Slot n IRQ Line (this is the only one I set on my first attempt, to 12)
>Slot n Latency Timer (ranges from 0..255 PCICLK) (was on 255)
>On Board PCI/SCSI BIOS Enabled/Disabled (was disabled)
>CC State Machine:
>  Data Write 0 WS Enabled/Disabled (was disabled)
>  Data Read 0 WS Enabled/Disabled (was disabled)

Hi!

The card normally should act and behave at least as a normal NE2000 clone (ed0)
But as stated before, you might have to jumper it into the mobo.
Also the PCI latency is IMHO too high.
Try setting it at around 40.

If you want to check out possible IRQ conflicts (at least on PCI bus with
vid cards), there are some programs (ok, DOS based) that give out very
reliable figures.

Otherwise try the config utility of the card and put it into jumperless
mode, no pnp.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)