Date:      Wed, 23 May 2012 15:19:14 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Natacha_Port=E9?= <natbsd@instinctive.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I help with thinkpad x220 issues?

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Natacha Port=E9 <natbsd@instinctive.eu> wr=
ote:
> Hello,
>
> I happen to be the owner of a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad X220. From a
> recent thread here I gather it almost works with FreeBSD, and the
> remaining problems are screen brightness and screen left unpowered at
> resume. Is that right?
>
> So my question is, how can I help make progress in any of these area?
> (though I admit I'm more interested in having the brightness problem
> solved than the resume one)
>
> I don't know anything about ACPI or about FreeBSD or Linux internals,
> but I'm quite proficient in C and somewhat used to navigate in unknown
> huge code bases.
>
> So I guess the first steps to help would be to first learn stuff.
>
> However I don't have much time available. I guess FreeBSD 11 would reach
> end-of-life before I could reach a level of understanding I find
> satisfying (though I admit I have high standards there), so I would have
> to prioritize. So my question is rather *what* should I learn to provide
> help as soon as possible?
>
> For example, if the brightness issue is just a matter of extracting the
> right numbers from linux kernel code and plug them into FreeBSD, I
> probably won't need to learn anything more about ACPI than what I would
> gather looking at the code. I guess if it was that simple someone would
> have already done it, but that illustrate well my point about
> prioritizing learning.
>
> Or is the barrier of entry too high for me to be of any use?

If it has not been committed, the minor fix to make acpi_ibm work on
modern ThinkPads needs to be committed. Once done, the issues
mentioned need to be addressed.This includes getting brightness to be
setable from both the keypad hot-keys and from applications. ATM, I
can set the brightness, but making the hot-keys work will require the
ability to extract the current level so that it may be adjusted
plus/minus one.

The other issue is volume control keys don't work. I suspect it will
be similar to brightness, but I don't know just how to figure it out.

I should also mention that I don't have an X220. I have a T520, but
the issues seem to be identical, so fixing one will probably fix a lot
of recent ThinkPads.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com