Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2018 03:58:13 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Subject:   Re: ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable

14.09.2018 3:42, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> I have been getting the above error at boot time (I think) for some time
> even though the box boots just fine.  The server boots from a pair of
> SSDs in mirror and then a number of other pools off different
> controllers get mounted.  All the pools show fine but I am curious if
> this error will come to something worse in the future. Googling around
> seems to point to different issues and goes back to RELENG8 days.  The
> box is AMD64, RELENG_11 r338656
>
> drive R: is disk15                                                         \
> BIOS drive S: is disk16
>        \
> BIOS drive T: is disk17
>        \
> BIOS drive U: is disk18
>        \
> ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
>        \
> ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
>
> BIOS 603kB/1915980kB available memory
>        -
>
>        \
> FreeBSD/x86 ZFS enabled bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
>        -
> \
>        -
>
> ... normal boot after that
>

>   pool: zroot
>  state: ONLINE
>   scan: resilvered 38.6G in 0h2m with 0 errors on Tue Sep  4 14:06:40 2018
> config:
>
>         NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         zroot         ONLINE       0     0     0
>           mirror-0    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             gpt/zfs0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>             ada1p3    ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
> ada1 was replaced recently as its wear level was reaching 0, but the
> errors were there prior to replacement

Do you use MBR or GPT for boot mirror? If that is MBR, the error seems to come
from zfsboot(8) that has small stripped-down read-only implementation of ZFS
that may lack support for some of zpool-features(7), so you will not see any
problems checking boot pool after kernel has loaded full-blown ZFS code.