Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 20:36:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, bde@zeta.org.au, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za
Subject:   Re: pseudo device lkm's broken

>    Yeah, I think this is a large part of the issue. It would nice to have the
> symbols, anyway, so that we can provide the operator with a traceback when the
> system crashes. I get so tired of telling people how to lookup symbols with
> 'nm /kernel'. ...but this will cost us about 100K more kernel bloat. Sigh. I
> really am getting to the point where I think that booting in 4MB will no
> longer be possible in the near future.

Consider that for that 100k, you can demand-load drivers so that you
need not have useless drivers in your kernel.  The GENERIC kernel has
more than 100k of useless drivers; there just aren't enough interrupt
lines on a PC for them all to be useful.  8-).

I've got to prototype it before I make any more guesses on numbers.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.