Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 13:00:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Nicole H."  <freelist@krell.webweaver.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   No! I refuse to die!

Hi everyone
 I have been having a problem lately where I seem to get processes that get stuck and refuse to die or be killed. The usual symptom is that users cannot login even via the console, however root can via the console.

 If I use top, I will see some user processes that look odd, and I cannot kill them. Nor can I kill the users shell process.

 It doesn't happen that often but it is definatly getting anoying.

 I tried dropping the amount of process usage a user can have via login.conf

 It is FreeBSD 2.1.6 on a Pentium pro200 with 128 Megs of memory.

 Any advice on what to try would be greatly appreciatted

 Thanks!

   Nicole