Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:34:25 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ACPI changes and acpi_video, lockups

I just (yesterday) cvsup'ed and rebuilt world/kernel, and I've noticed
some changes.  I noticed that the 'cx supported' has changed:
Now:
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/1

I'm not positive what it was before, but I remember a C3 and a C4 I
believe - or am I hallucinating again?

Also, I no longer get any sysctl's for acpi video - which was working
flawlessly (allowing me to close the lid on my laptop and have it turn
off the screen) before yesterday.

It has been a little over a month since rebuilding the world/kernel, so
a lot has changed I'm sure..

Not sure if this is related or not, however my machine has locked up
pretty hard 3 times since then, definitely not normal.  Two of those
times, I believe the cpu fan went into overdrive after a short time of
being locked..

Here's some info for those who might be able to help:

I'm building acpi and acpi_video into the kernel now - I've also tried
it via modules, same result.

This is on a Dell Latitude D600 (BIOS A08).

$ sysctl hw.acpi
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
hw.acpi.s4bios: 1
hw.acpi.verbose: 1
hw.acpi.reset_video: 1
hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_max: 8
hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state: 8
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_usage: 100.00%
[snip]

dmesg and other info available on request..

Thanks!
Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.