Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:40:46 -0700
From:      "Hank Wethington" <bsd@info-logix.com>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        "BSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: open ports question

The inetd.conf file was edited over 3 months ago, the machine has had many
reboots since then.

Forgive me for being hesitant about listing open ports. I have security for
port scans but direct access to a port. If there is a know exploit it can't
be stopped if I'm not looking on.

the ones I currently have open are:

79 Finger
111 Portmapper (in rc.conf I have portmap_enable="NO" so why is this coming
up?)
119 NNTP which is not running as the machine is not acting as a news server
143 IMAP, again not running that I know of
540 UUCP
1024 ???

and a few others. I can block all of them with my fire wall rules, but I'm
wondering why they're open in the first place.

Hank