Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:25:05 -0400
From:      Gary Corcoran <gcorcoran@rcn.com>
To:        John Reynolds <johnjen@reynoldsnet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support for components of Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 motherboard?

John Reynolds wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I searched the archives for GA-965P-S3 and other permutations looking for
> information about the components that come on this Gigabyte motherboard. I
> didn't find much except stuff related to -current.

I just built a new PC based on a Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 board.  Not exactly
the same, but it seems very similar except mine has built-in video.  Since
it is intended for a personal file server, all I wanted was VGA.

> Can people relate any experiences using this motherboard under -stable or
> -current? It appears from my reading that in -current the audio will be
> supported through snd_hda, correct (ICH8 + Realtek ALC883)? Does it work well?
> What about the Marvell 8056 ethernet? I couldn't find much information about
> that one though--does the msk happen to support this one too (though the man
> page doesn't specifically say so)?
>
> What about any PATA/SATA problems / issues / successes?
>
> Any success (or failurea) stories with the components on this motherboard
> (whether it be in -current or -stable) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I installed the May 2007 snapshot of current because I wanted to try ZFS.
I haven't tried a lot yet, but here's what I found:

DVD-RW drive connected to PATA (JMicron controller) worked fine for install.
Later, a hard disk connected to the same PATA cable along with the DVD-RW
also worked.

SATA ports provided by ICH8 work fine in AHCI mode (only tried 1.5Gbps SATA
for now).

"Gigabyte SATA" ports as they call the 5th and 6th ports provided by the
JMicron controller, probed okay, but a SATA hard disk wasn't recognized
with the ports set to AHCI mode.  Putting those SATA ports back to old
compatible "IDE" mode let the disk work.

I haven't tried the audio.

The Marvell 8056 ethernet is supported by the msk driver.  It probes and attaches
okay, but, long story short, it is unusable.  Pinged okay, but just trying to
vi a small file over the network crashed the network connection.  Another time
the lights on the network switch were constantly going off and on every few
seconds.  It's just unusable in its current state.  When I get time, I'll try
to provide a proper report to -current and get some help, but for now I had
to plug in an Intel card in a PCI slot.

Gary