Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:41:53 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        dicen@hooked.net (dicen)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance of ufs vs. ext2.

E-mail message from dicen contained:

> > >The performance that I have measured (sequential -- IOZONE) is that
> > >FreeBSD is faster in both read/write.  However, our metadata performance
> > >is slower (filecreates/deletes.)  With -async, our metadata is still
> > >slower, but not by orders of magnitude.  FreeBSD's cache perf is much
> > >faster (by factors of 3-4.)  Much of it is due to the default block
> > >size (8K vs. 1K.)  But the fragment size of an 8K UFS filesystem is
> > >the *same* as a 1K ext2fs.
> >
> > In my tests, ext2fs is fastest for huge sequential i/o's when the block
> > sizes are closer (8K vs 4K), but there was only a small difference (less
> > than 10%) between the best and worst cases (best: ext2fs under FreeBSD,
> > next: ext2fs under Linux, worst: ext2fs under Linux) except for rewrite,
> > which was 66% faster under Linux than under FreeBSD.  Cache performance
> > also catches up (46MB/sec for FreeBSD-current-last-November, 41MB/sec
> > for Linux-2.0.20).  A 4K fragment size wastes space probably wastes time
> > in most cases.
> >
> > Bruce
>
> Okay cool some real numbers. When you speak of "rewrite" are you talking
> about the creation and deletion of files (Metadata)? There seams to be a
> significant speed difference between the creation and deletion of files
> on linux ext2 vs. Freebsd ufs. Linux ext2 is way faster. I suppose I
> could just run ext2 under FreeBSD right? It sure would make a "make
> world" faster. You know if someone were to setup a news server it would
> seam to make more sence to use ext2.

Doubt it.  You could run FFS async (the way the Linuxers run ext2fs) and
pray to Deity-of-your-choice not to lose the filesystem (the way the Linuxers
who run ex2fs should do but do not, presumably out of ignorance).

For a news server, you can run FFS noatime, and have a big win without
endangering your data.  Joe Greco made a series of posts on the matter.

/Marino