Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:38:24 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?dici_=28D=E9veloppement_Informatique_de_C=2EI=29?= <dicidt@africaonline.co.ci>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: SCO XENIX file running

[Format recovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Thursday, 25 February 1999 at 13:48:33 -0000, dici (Développement Informatique de C.I) wrote:
> On jeudi 25 février 1999 04:34, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote
>>>
>>> That's part of the SVR4 emulation a couple of guys are working on. I
>>> think there's a pointer for it on the webpage under projects.
>>
>> XENIX has nothing to do with SVR4.  It has a number of object formats,
>> including COFF (which is supported under iBCS2, though some system
>> calls may not be), and x.out, which isn't supported.  It's possible,
>> but unlikely, that the 286 mode files would work under doscmd.
>
> Hello Greg,

Please note the following lines in my .sig:

>> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
>> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

I'm copying -questions again:

> My mailer is Microsoft Outlook and I apologize for the line wrap.

Maybe you should think about a mailer which works.   This message had
almost correct line breaks, but your message was quoted at the same
level as my original.  You'll probably find a good UNIX mailer easier
to handle.

> I thank you for your answers. I've already bought your book,
> second edition through which I get my first contact with the OS.
> My problem is due to my hurry to behave as I can handle this OS
> quickly as I use to run SCO Xenix. But day by day, things seem
> less easy. I've bought the book with FreeBSD 2.2.5 CDs which I
> installed on a P5-II with Cyrix K2-6 300Mhz. I do my best to move
> step by step : installation, sound then, multiports cards, my soft I
> use on SCO Xenix ( app written in Thorougbred Basic), etc.
> Now I canceled every step to try my app's and I can't even install
> the app language (interpreter) and complete this by my own
> applications (app's). My move towards FreeBSD makes my first
> use of the web. Things are not so easy to do by this side of
> Atlantic sea, in Africa. I've set the SCO iBCS to YES in /etc/rc.conf
> without success, the result is the display of ascii unreadable
> characters such as 'type' command for a .EXE file under
> MS-DOS. My country is a french speaking one but I do my best to say what I
> need.
> Excuse me for I cannot tell you yet great about this file format
> but it's a binary one.

What does file(1) say?  For example (these are real files from a XENIX
development environment, viewed on a FreeBSD system):

d3var.o:       8086 relocatable (Microsoft)

  As the name suggests, you can't do much with this

libd3form.a:   old PDP-11 archive

  You can't do much with this either, though possibly we could find a
  version of ar which understands it.  But it probably contains
  relocatables like the preceding entry.

filemode:       Infocom game data (Z-machine 6, Release 11264,

  I think that this is x.out.  Again, there's not much you can do with
  it.  To be sure, check it like this:

  $ od -h filemode | more
  0000000     0206    002c    2ce8    0000    1400    0000    1520    0000

  If the first halfword is 0206, it's x.out.

ls:             ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked, stripped

  This is a System V.4 ELF file.  You shouldn't find any on a XENIX
  box.  If you have them, the System V.4 emulation should handle them

I don't have any COFF executables on this machine, but it's quite
possible your files are COFF.  As I said, you can emulate them with
the iBCS2 software.

Greg