Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 15:43:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        atomicjello@cyberjunkie.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-Window

On Sat, 28 March 1998 at 21:40:48 -0800, Jason Lin wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD users:
>
> I have been trying to disable my X-Window
> virtual screen, but even as I commented
> out all the "Virtual" words in my
> /usr/X11/lib/XF86Config, X-Window still
> shows up with virtual screen. How to
> disable it?

I think there might be a misunderstanding here.  The term "virtual"
refers to a display which is larger than what you see on the monitor.
When you move the mouse to the edge of the monitor display, the
display is panned to show the undisplayed part in that direction.  Is
this what you understand?  If you comment out all the "virtual" lines
in the correct configuration file and restart the server, this
behaviour will stop.

If you think you're doing this, send me your XF86Config file in
private mail, and I'll look at it and comment publicly.

> Is there anyway to make my resolution 1024x768x64K colors? I just
> want one mode, not many.

Sure, no problems, as long as you have at least 1.5 MB of display
memory.

> It appears that my X-Window starts up with another resolution with
> less colors. How to switch resolutions?

Ctrl-Alt-Keypad+ and Ctrl-Alt-Keypad-.  These are the grey + and -
symbols on the keypad at the extreme right of a keyboard.

> Is there any font smoothing utility (anti-alias) for X-Window? I
> want to smooth out all the rugged edges on fonts.

Probably several.  I haven't seen much problems with aliasing, and
with a higher resolution you probably won't either.

Greg