Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2006 07:46:27 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        drseuk@droog.sdf-eu.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring FreeBSD for use as an interactive kiosk

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:16:15AM +0000, drseuk@droog.sdf-eu.org wrote:

[...]
> I'd welcome any advice and suggestions about how to do this. Currently the
> information on the system is updated in situ so the file systems can't
> be made read only (any ideas on how we could split the updating from the
> deployment welcome).

There are a couple of solutions involving NFS that could be used, if
you've got the bandwidth. eg: You could make all the base file-systems
read-only, and mount the run-file-system over NFS; or you could make
the kiosks mount everything except the root-file-system over NFS.
If I recall correctly, there are examples available in the Handbook.

>We also need to find a way of turning firefox into a
> kiosk browser.

Put a script in /etc/ttys that starts up X and runs firefox; maybe
`startx && firefox'?

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
"We laugh in the face of danger, we drop icecubes down the vest of fear"