Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2012 23:28:32 -0400
From:      Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        attilio@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On cooperative work [Was: Re: newbus' ivar's limitation..]
References:  <CACqU3MUh1XPScRHNc-ivOYLmbG0_UqpwBNWeoPA84uSOESH_bg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-FndCHxpTfc%2Bb5zgiX2NheaQN1LcJXBRubef4_GAYCy_pb2g@mail.gmail.com> <CACqU3MWo=ieaduuwZDF6SfzUUS5y1qzP5e2Ddg6Aphnz_O2PJw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-FndCDpD3rnQFwiOSGofP9cPCxC5Zo%2BPLfxALY8pnE=2HQMA@mail.gmail.com> <CACqU3MW2JEtDK0Ngdf_Br6D%2BVvdU1B9LmN0fm0F9=bG0f2iW4Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-VmomhHxG8t9Sw7de%2BzUnbz0O5GSY4ifpHFtCb9JS_zS0rBA@mail.gmail.com> <CACqU3MUKGcy8rNz0FcZLVat49BmRLD3hVKX%2BOXxkzwRDugKtAw@mail.gmail.com> <612DA8A3-121E-4E72-9E5B-F3CBA9DEB7F7@bsdimp.com>

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> Any interested party is very welcome to approach a developer and get
>>> added to the developer summits. Plenty of the people at the most
>>> recent developer summit weren't @freebsd.org committers - we had
>>> plenty of representation from companies using FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> If you want to participate, just ask a friendly developer who is going
>>> to the developer summit to sponsor you in going. You're pleasant in
>>> person, so I'd have no problem sponsoring you if I am going to an
>>> event. :)
>>>
>> I have a very deep, quasi-philosophical, trouble/problem with that
>> whole idea of sponsor-requirement to attend a such meeting. There is
>> just something which does not feel right about it. From my point of
>> view, this is a matter of common sense, focus is gonna be very narrow
>> and deeply technical. Attendee should go there only if they think they
>> will give positive feedback. As for myself, I would not attend a
>> developer meeting on the fiber-channel over infiniband optimization,
>> but would attend a developer meeting on next-generation mbuf.
>>
>> Now, maybe I'll just push the door of some developer meeting I'd be
>> interested in during next BSDCan, and see what happen :-) The outcome
>> might be interesting to study in a social interaction, prisoner
>> dilemma related, point-of-view.
>
> Given how ridiculously easy it is to get a proper invite, there's not need to be a jerk just to prove an obscure philosophical point about attendance.  There's plenty of time to do that over the technical points being discussed.

Let me explain my thoughts: I do not recognize the committers
legitimacy to give such invite, and to some extend, I do not recognize
committers self-given legitimacy altogether. This do not mean I'd
praised a structure-less project; quite the opposite actually.
Starting from that, I will certainly not defer to anybody to request
such invite or commit bit. Feel free to kick me out of the meeting
room if you want to; I would have proved my point.

Now, if invites are so easy to get, just get rid of it. It's a
worthless, cumbersome item.

 - Arnaud

ps: please, do not get me wrong, I would apply this policy to anybody
who propose to help.