Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 07:15:28 -0500
From:      Charlie Root <root@scsn.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Michael Imor <umji@cs.sunyit.edu>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Poor Performance from Linux RealPlayer

On Mon, Jan 19, 1998 at 09:51:27PM -0800, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> One thing to consider is that the RealPlayer is a product and that
> we don't have access to their code. It is a little different
> for publicly available programs where we can rectify or improve
> the code whenever we can . In the case of the RealPlayer the
> responsibility clearly falls on the company and even if the
> XFree86 group provides the functionality it is still up to
> the company responsible for the product to take advantage of
> functionality such as an interface to hardware assist scaling.
>
> 	Amancio

    Well, thats certainly a valid point of view...  I'm just glad
that these guys are supporting a free OS like Linux _at all_.  It's
probably not very realistic to expect them to put a great deal of
effort into overcoming the limitations of XFree86...

    In contrast, _I_ have a very strong interest in improving the
performance of my XServer :-)  My problem is that, until about a
year or so ago, I was a dyed-in-the-wool Amiga-freak, and have very
little (actually NO) experience with low-level programming of IBMPC
graphics adapters.  I think I could pick it up pretty quick, since
I could write blitter/copper/other low-level HW stuff on the Amiga
as well as anybody.  I did a lot of work toward the goal of adding
better native hardware support to the NetBSD/Amiga XServer, but
never finished it, 'cause my Amiga blew up, and I ended up with
a PC :-(

    So...  Anybody know where I can get good info on this stuff?
I am particularly interested in info on the S3 Vision 968 chip,
since this is the only one I currently have access to...

    Fixing X might be beyond my means, but hopefully, fixing
XF86_S3 might not be :-)