Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:14:13 +0200
From:      Steve Mazerski <smazerski@yahoo.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /cdrom for normal users?

Is it the "done thing" in FreeBSD for normal users to mount CD-ROMs=20
in a local directory rather than /cdrom?=20

As a normal user all I get is this:

  localuser > mount /cdrom=20
  cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Operation not permitted

despite changing the permissions on both the CD-ROM device and /cdrom
to 660 and ensuring the local user is in the relevant groups

I can mount CD-ROMs in a directory owned by the normal user.

I ask because in Linux, /cdrom is generally useable as a mount point
by all users. It's not a problem, just wondering.

For reference:=20

the relevant line in /etc/fstab:

  /dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0      =
 0

vfs.usermount is set to 1, and yes, I have read this page:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#USER-FLOP=
PYMOUNT

S.Mazerski