Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:21:07 -0800
From:      "Fabian Thylmann" <fthylmann@stats.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with not disappearing sockets.

Hello,

I am having major problems with sockets that do never go away or that take a
VERY long time to do so at least. More than an hour as far as I can see.

This causes my buffer space to run out and even ifconfig doesn't work
anymore.

most of the sockets sit in CLOSING state.

On one of my servers for example I have almost 22000 closing sockets. And
that number just climbs all the time.. Till it reaches about 60000 and then
the server has no more buffer space.

This all is happening on multiple freebsd versions. One being an old STABLE
SNAP: 3.2-19990602-STABLE and also on 3.3-RC ....

I do not know for sure for how long those sockets stay alive, but it has to
be some timeout, no?

There must be a place where I can set it, even if its hacking the kernel.

I see no reason why this timeout is so high, it seems to be well over 10
minutes, if not way more. And many of the sockets seem to never die.

BTW, the 3.2 SNAP server is receiving many hits, probably many more than
most of you think is wise, but the only problem there is are those CLOSING
sockets. (Its getting around 10 million hits per day, small web hits).

It takes around 6 days on that machine till it arrives at the 'deadly' limit
of sockets.

Also, if there IS no way to change the timeout, there HAS to be a way to
remove those sockets from the buffer, no? I really see no reason why that
isn't possible.

Thanks,
Fabian Thylmann
STATSnet sprl