Date:      Mon, 25 May 2020 08:51:03 +0000
From:      marco <marco+freebsd-current@lordsith.net>
To:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZFS BE not booting

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

returning FreeBSD user here, using bectl for the 1st time on a thinkpad x23=
0 with 16GB of RAM.

bectl list -aDs
BE/Dataset/Snapshot                          Active Mountpoint Space Created

r359556
  zroot/ROOT/r359556                         NR     /          12.2G 2020-0=
4-03 20:05
  r359556@2020-05-22-22:20:00-0              -      -          61.1M 2020-0=
5-22 22:20

r360723
  zroot/ROOT/r360723                         -      -          6.25G 2020-0=
5-22 22:20
    zroot/ROOT/r359556@2020-05-22-22:20:00-0 -      -          61.1M 2020-0=
5-22 22:20

I created r360723 using bectl whilst being on r359556 and am still using ba=
se ZFS.

I'm running GENERIC-NODEBUG on this thinkpad x230.

[~] uname -v
FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #2 r359556: Mon Apr 13 13:35:31 UTC 2020     root@harb=
inger:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC-NODEBUG

I activate and boot into the newly created BE, run svn up -r 360723 from /u=
sr/src and doing the upgrade steps (same steps were used in previous upgrad=
es leading to r359556 without the use of BEs).

make -DMALLOC_PRODUCTION -j4 buildworld
make -DMALLOC_PRODUCTION -j4 buildkernel KERNCONF=3DGENERIC-NODEBUG
make -DMALLOC_PRODUCTION -j4 installkernel KERNCONF=3DGENERIC-NODEBUG

Then I reboot but the boot process drops me into the debugger (unfort. I do=
n't have the capture of the reason).
I've tried upgrading to both r360723 and r361307 (I pick those revisions fr=
om the released snapshots, no other reason) but both produce the same resul=
t.

Is there something I'm perhaps missing regarding loader.conf and/or rc.conf=
 ?
It could just be these 2 specific revisions and will try another revision b=
ut perhaps I need to do something setting the zfs bootcode again using gpar=
t ?

cheers

--=20
Marco van Lienen -- Unix SysAdmin -- https://lordsith.net/
https://keybase.io/scarcry , GnuPG id: 8580E6CB
"The Tuck Pendleton machine...zero defects."

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm--