Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 09:50:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
To:        Jason Boerner <chaos@rivers.oscs.montana.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: rdump man pages???

On Tue, 2 May 1995, Jason Boerner wrote:

> While attempting to figure out how to perform a remote dump to a tape
> drive on another machine; I ran accross the fact that the man pages for
> rdump point to the man pages for dump.
>
> The dump pages tell nothing about rdump.  I.E. which files need to be
> setup to configure things correctly on the remote machine etc.

	the arguments that rdump needs depend upon the machine that has
the tape drive attached to it.  you need to read the DUMP man page on
that machine.

	an example:  i rdump from kryten, a FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 machine, to
windsurf, a SunOS 4.1.3 machine.  the rdump arguments are sunos specific:

/sbin/rdump 0dsbfu 54000 13000 126 windsurf:/dev/nrst8 /dev/rsd0a

	d	density				54000 bpi
	s	size, length of tape		13000 feet
	b	blocking factor			126 blocks of 512 bytes
	f	which file|device		windsurf:/dev/nrst8
	u	update the /etc/dumpdates file

	in order for the above command to work, the /etc/host.equiv file and|or
the .rhosts file must be setup correctly.  (see the man pages on the
machine with the tape drive.)

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com	| Analysis & Technology, Inc.
						| 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.					| Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life	| 703-418-2800 x346